Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My kind of medicine!

So I'm sick in bed with the flu. Or at least I think it's the flu... Whatever it is, it's miserable and I've lost my voice completely.

Whenever I used to get sick as a child, my mother would whip up some good ol' Jewish penicillin: chicken soup. Yesterday, I made my own vegan version, which was just as effective! Fortunately, I had just gone out to Privos, the big, outdoor market in Odessa, and purchased plenty of vegetables.


Here's the recipe Iused...

Ingredients

1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped

3 medium white potatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped

2 medium parsnips, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup parsley
1 tsp olive oil
1 cube vegan bullion
1 teaspoon celery flakes, (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:


Chop all of the vegetables and put them in a large pot. Add enough water until the vegetables are just covered. Add the bullion and olive oil.

Boil the vegetables until the potatoes and cauliflower are soft (about 20 mins)

Turn off the heat. Add salt, pepper, and parsley.

Serve with a baguette and soy margarine... Or, better yet, a large salad.

YUMMMMMMM


Serves: 4

Preparation time: 30 mins





The salad I made was basically just diced veggies (cauliflower, tomato, onion, cucumber), romaine lettuce and a couple carrot-stuffed cabbage rolls that I bought at Privos. I drizzled it with a simple oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.


If all those vitamins don't kick this bug then I don't know what will! Well... maybe penicillin, but I'm not even gonna go there.


SaM.

No comments:

Post a Comment