Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cheap Eats

Living on a, let's say, "modest" teacher's wage and part of a US government research stipend *cough cough* -- I'm always appreciative of inexpensive ways to eat quality food. Though Ukrainian prices are usually more forgiving than American prices, living anywhere isn't cheap and it's always nice to get a break every once in a while.

That's why I thought I'd post on perhaps the most amazing lunch I've ever purchased under $6. In Florida, the only quick, vegan "meal" I could've expected to buy for six bucks would have been a bag of pretzels, an apple and maybe a fountain soda. Today, however, my $6 (or about 50 gryvnas) stretched a little bit farther. Here's a picture of a delicious $6 lunch for two:




That's two large salads to-go from Tavria B, a local supermarket chain (I still haven't figured out if there's a Tavria A), 6 apples, a baguette from our local French bakery (or "backery" as the sign says), and a 2-liter bottle of water, без газа (without gas).

The only unfortunate thing about this meal was that it was entirely wrapped in plastic.
But that's a topic for an entirely different post.


SaM.

No comments:

Post a Comment