Monday, April 19, 2010

1001 Uses for Chickpeas: Part I



I went to Privos market the other day and bought a kilo of dried chickpeas. If you haven't been enlightened by the presence of chickpeas in your life, I think you are missing a vital part of existence. I am here to spread the chickpea gospel.

The chickpea (aka "garbanzo bean") is among one of the most protein-rich foods out there and was perhaps the earliest cultivated vegetable, as 7500 year-old remains of chickpea cultivation have been found in the Middle East. One cup of chickpeas contains about 269 calories and 14 grams of protein. It's also a great source of iron, potassium, zinc, and calcium. Not too shabby, little pea.


In Israel, this thing was everywhere. I ate hummus (a mix of chickpeas and tahina), chickpea soup, chick pea sauce on spaghetti (I'm serious), falafel (a mash of chickpeas, deep fried), and just about every other form imaginable. When I first arrived in Ukraine, I thought I would have to give up chickpeas cold turkey, as I didn't find any trace of them, canned or dried, in any supermarket.

Then, one day I went to Privos market, an amazing outdoor food and product bazaar that deserves its own post. At one stand, near the pickle section, I found a man selling kilo-bags of dried chickpeas, or наот (naot) in Russian. Last night I decided to get a little brave and test out a new recipe: Chana masala, a popular Indian recipe for cooking chickpeas.

Chana masala spice is a mixture of coriander seeds, salt, dried mango, pomegranate seeds, red chili, cumin, black pepper, cloves, mint, nutmeg, ginger, cassia, cardamom, and... mace.
Pre-packaged boxes of this spice mix can be found in Indian food markets if you don't just happen to have mace lying around. I found a box of the spices in Krakow and brought it back with me, but I think the recipe would taste just as good with some fresh ginger, cumin, nutmeg, clove, salt and pepper: spices that are all easily found in any supermarket.

This is the recipe that I followed:




Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 cups dried chickpeas or 2 small cans of chickpeas
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 head cauliflower, chopped
1 tablespoon chana masala spice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 liter of water

Soak two cups of dried chickpeas overnight (or use two small cans of chickpeas and skip this step). In a large pot heat two tablespoons of cooking oil (I used sesame oil) and fry the onion until translucent. Then add the tomatoes, cauliflower, chickpeas, salt and spices and stir for five minutes. Add 1/2 liter of water and baking soda, bring to a boil and cover.

(Sorry about the quality of these photos... a light bulb blew out in our kitchen and it was pretty dark so I had to use *flash* which I try to not to use when taking food photos)

Simmer on low heat for 40 minutes until all the water evaporates.
Serves four or two very hungry people... especially tasty paired with rice or a crusty baguette.


It came out a little spicier than I expected (it even fogged up the entire apartment!), but it was still very tasty.


Next time I'll try to cut back on the mace.


SaM.

No comments:

Post a Comment